Saturday, July 5, 2008

Me, the Missing, and the Dead


by Jenny Valentine

Lucas was only 11 when his dad disappeared; he's 16 now and still trying to figure out what happened. He explains that "...it's the not knowing that's hard" (p9). One day, while being too lazy to walk home, Lucas enters a cab office and discovers the urn of one Violet Park that has been there for about 5 years. Lucas feels like Violet is communicating with him, and he decides to rescue Violet from the cab office. After rescuing her, he decides to try and find out more about her and in the process learns a lot about his dad.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. I liked Lucas' voice, and I felt bad listening to his struggles of coming to terms with his father's abandonment. Especially since his mom didn't do much to help him - I couldn't believe how often she would say that marrying her husband and having his children was such a big mistake. In front of her kids! No wonder the kids all had issues.

I also really liked Lucas' grandparents Norman and Pansy and Lucas' dad's old friend Bob who helps Lucas learn some important things about his dad.

At the same time Lucas' character actually bothered me. And, the story itself didn't really sit well with me. There's nothing wrong with it really, it just isn't my kind of story.

I'm going to say:

3 out of 5 stars

mostly because I read it in about one sitting and any book that can keep my interest like that has to be deemed at least "ok."

No comments: