Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wuthering Heights


by Emily Bronte

I don't really have anything nice to say about this book. I've spent the last two weeks forcing my way through, and I just can't find anything redeeming about it, especially the characters. There isn't a single character that I even sort of like. But, it's been a week since I've reviewed a book, and I feel like I should say something.

So, here's my attempt at a 5-word review:

Selfish brats end up dead.

Has anyone read Wuthering Heights and enjoyed it? Obviously I was missing something, please feel free to enlighten me. I am at a complete loss.

5 comments:

Janssen said...

I'd really like to reread this one, since it's been ages and I remember nothing about it except that the cover was green and the spine was starting to shred.

Shelley said...

Great review! Very appropriate. I remember liking this in high school, but then rereading it as an adult and not liking it. I didn't pick up on the selfishness and evil of the characters when I was younger.
Jane Eyre (by whichever Bronte sister, I can never remember which one wrote what) is so much better because Jane is someone you can actually like and admire, and the story doesn't drag on and on.

KT said...

Janssen - it's funny the details we can and can't remember. If you do re-read it I will be interested in knowing if you liked it.

Shelley - I'm so glad you agree! I was kind of nervous to review it. I really enjoyed Jane Eyre too (it's actually the reason I picked this one up).

Heather said...

Loved your review! I have attempted many times to read it but found it lacks the ability to suck me in.
I hope you are doing well.
Heather Lee

P.S. Love you reviews. They have given me some good ideas for upcoming book club months and have caused my reading list to get quite a bit longer.

Lezlie said...

I was not at all fond of the characters either. Why on earth would anyone think of Heathcliff as a hero? Mystery to me!

Lezlie